Bae is a sweet man. He’s the type of man that will randomly buy me presents or flowers on any given day not just Valentines Day. I didn’t want him to feel obligated to take me to a fancy dinner and buy me flowers just because it’s Valentines Day. It’s nice don’t get me wrong, but if as a couple you want to spend some time for yourselves, then you don’t need a holiday to necessarily do it. You can easily find a sitter any other night and plan a spectacular date night with your significant other.
So whether you couldn’t find a babysitter for Saturday night, or whether you’re just choosing not to go out into the Valentine’s Day craziness don’t feel bad. We’re choosing not to go out on Valentines Days as a couple either. Instead we’re choosing to stay home and celebrate the love as a family!❤
Below I’ve made a list of fun and easy things you and your family can try together. 🙂
1.) Make Valentines Day themed food & treats
For breakfast we made some delicious heart shaped pancakes.
All you need for this is a medium-large size cookie cutter. I purchased my medium size cookie cutter from Raley’s, but lot’s of other stores have some too.
Be sure you grease the griddle and the cookie cutter very well as this will keep the pancake batter from sticking. I made the mistake of not greasing the cookie cutter well the first time as a result my pancake batter got stuck, and I wasn’t able to pull it off. When you grease the cookie cutter well it allows you to easily pull the cookie cutter from the top giving you a beautiful heart shape. ALSO make sure your cookie cutter is metal and not plastic as plastic will melt!
You could also chop up some fruit and use a small heart shaped cookie cutter to add to your yummy heart shaped pancakes.
Neveah and Bae had some heart shaped hard boiled eggs. I personally do not like hard boiled eggs. For this Bae used a milk carton, some rubber bands, and a pencil. If you want to see the full Youtube tutorial on how to do this you can click here.
For some yummy treats I made some Nutella Mini Pancake Skewers. I made these on the first try, and they were bomb!
Here’s what you need:
- Pancake batter of your choosing (I personally chose to use the Aunt Jemima just add water mix).
- 1 small jar Nutella
- 1 lb of fresh strawberries, washed, stems removed, sliced into 1/2 inch thick sliced
- 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 4 wooden skewers (I used the full sized skewers but you can break them in half to make broken in half to make 8 small ones)
- 1/2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter
- Chop up all the strawberries and bananas. Then using the small heart shaped cookie cutter cut into the banana pieces. You can do this with the strawberries as well if you’d like.
- Prepare the pancake batter as instructed on the package directions. Heat your griddle to about 350 degrees and lightly grease it. I personally used Pam Baking spray, if you prefer you can use butter to grease your griddle.
- Pour small dabs of batter onto the griddle. 1 inch-11⁄2-= about 3/4 tablespoon of batter per mini pancake.
- Cook the mini pancakes for about a minute on each side or until lightly browned.
- Spread some Nutella on each of the mini pancakes and layer the strawberries and bananas onto the skewers.
Serve and enjoy!
For a more healthier option try making a heart shaped fruit salad or some fruit skewers.
All you need is a heart shaped cookie cutter, some skewers, and a variety of fruits you enjoy.
I used pineapples, watermelon, melon, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, and mango. I also used a variety of heart shaped cookie cutters and even used a mustache cookie cutter to make my fruit skewers.
2.) Dress up and take lots of pictures!
I love to take pictures. I like to capture as many moments of my kids lives as possible especially while they’re small.
You don’t have to get all dolled up for this either. A simple valentines tee and some jeans or leggings will work. You don’t have to spend a ton of money on clothes as well. Second hand kids stores always have great holiday outfits. Be sure to check your local Target and Wal-Mart too. They always have cute kids and babies clothes at inexpensive prices.
So get dressed, grab your camera or selfie stick and photo away!
“Forever Love” light pink knit top- H&M ($9.95)
Black Leggings- Windsor ($19.99)
Feather earrings- Forever 21 ($6.99)
Light pink and gold rose studded bracelet- Forever 21 ($8.99)
Elmo wild at heart top and leggings- Wal-Mart ($10.99)
Red Tee- Wal-Mart ($3.88)
Circo Jeans- Target ($8.99)
Bib- Wal-Mart ($3.00)
3.) Make some cute Valentines Day crafts
Crafts are always a fun way to engage your toddler. My daughter loves craft time with mommy.
For this we decided to make a butterfly valentine out of a few simple things.
Here’s what you need:
- We had some extra scrap booking paper left from my last project, so using the left overs we wrapped the scrap paper around the toilet roll and taped it in place.
- Using the Elmer’s glue we glued four wiggly eyes onto four fuzzy pom poms.
- While I waited for those to dry we wrapped two chenille stems around our pinky fingers and cut them in half. Then using the tape we taped a bottom portion of the stems inside the tissue roll.
- We used the glue dots to stick together one large pink heart and one large red heart together to make the butterfly wings. I then used one more glue dot to stick the heart wings to the back of the tissue holder.
- Finally we cut about an inch or so of another chenille stem, formed a smile, glued it to the tissue roll and we were done! 🙂
This was a craft I found on Pinterest, so if you’re feeling crafty on Valentines day hop onto Pinterest. A simple search always leads to a million ideas. That’s why I LOVE Pinterest!
4.) Have a movie night marathon
Personally I wouldn’t recommend taking the kids out on Valentines day to the theater, especially if you have small children. The other day we went to watch the new Spongebob movie. My daughter did okay, but she was very fidgety, and Nolan got very fussy at times. So just don’t do it. You don’t want to be that parent with the screaming, crying kid at the theater that everyone wants to secretly punch at and yell for them to shut the fuck up.
Hopefully you have Netflix or Amazon prime, so you can binge watch some family friendly movies or TV shows at least until the kids go to sleep, then you can watch whatever adult programming you want.
If you don’t have Netflix and regular TV isn’t playing anything worth watching, then you can always turn some music on and dance yourselves silly.
5.) Buy your kids a little valentines gift
It can be something homemade like a crafty valentine card, inexpensive pink socks, or a heart shaped lollipop. I like to give little gifts for every holiday just to let my little girl know I love her, and mommy always thinks about her. Nolan is still a bit to small for gifts , but soon I’ll have to be buying little gifts for him as well.
I love shopping through the dollar aisle and seasonal aisle in Target and Wal-Mart I always find very cute and very cheap stuff.
I found this at Wal-mart for $5 it’s packed full of Sofia the First goodies. I tell my Neveah she’s my valentine every year.
Two years ago I was baeless. Netflix was my bae. I would buy myself a little gift as well…which I actually did yesterday. Call it a habit, but I went into Pinky Rose and bought myself some makeup goodies for Valentines day! Even if you do have a bae and he buys you something, don’t be afraid to splurge a little on yourself momma.
Hopefully you like and try these helpful tips for Valentines Day if you’re like us and spending it with your children. Hell even if your single and Netflix is your valentine you could try some of the valentines day treats, so I hope everyone takes a little tip away from this post.
I almost forgot to mention Papa Murphy’s has their heart baker pizza for $8. YES! We will be buying this pizza for dinner tonight! This is a must if your staying home with the kiddos tonight.❤